Sunday, November 14, 2010

Is it really that time already?

Poetry has been a class that has changed me in every aspect. I am grateful that I was able to have taken the class and show the importance of expressing yourself. When I first came into the class my view on poetry was very different from what it is now. I thought that poetry was only for girls and that it was weird for guys to write poetry. I didn't really like poetry at first either. The first day of class I remember that we were told to write a poem about a tomato. I could not understand the significance of this but I was coming in open minded to the class and just decided to do it. After several classes, I started to warm up poetry and the fact that I was going to have to write it.

There were several instances when we were forced to step out of our comfort zone and to write about things that we were not used to. We had to write about many things and one that I felt was extremely hard to write was the one about the trip to Walgreens. There was just so much that one could write about and so many ideas that I had but I did not know how to put all of it on paper. After countless number of hours sitting starting at paper I just started to write about how I felt and it just came to me. I started to realize that poetry came from the heart and it came from how you felt at that moment at time. It was hard to try and make up how you felt about poetry because it just didn't feel real.
I have to say that I enjoyed all of the reflections of the different poets from the past till the present. I was able to see what all of the poets had in common and what was different. With all of the different poets one could see that each one of them had something that was unique. Whether it was enjambment or unusual topography each of the poets taught me something different and unique. Learning all of the different types of way to get your reader interested in your piece of art, I started to use some of these techniques in my own work. I truly wanted to impress my audience as many of the other poets did and I was able to in some of my work. I learned a lot from these reflections and always made sure to read in depth about their background. I quickly found out that most of the artists that had great poems were those who expressed themselves about a particular thing that had a huge impact in their lives. I wanted to be able to do the same thing and show my audience how something important inspired me to write.
The group poem was my favorite exercise of the entire year. It was something that was very exciting to do because it incorporated several ideas from different people. It took a long time to finally get together and write the poem but there were just so many things that the group wanted to put into this group poem. When we finally got together, we wanted to make our poem about Facebook. It included status updates, likes, pokes and messages to one another about members within the group. We all took on parts of different people with different stereotypes and created a poem around that. Overall it was a great poem when we performed it in class and it was very different from the other poems that were presented in class. I felt that for once, I was in the poetry slam. The poets that take part in the poetry slam are really good and do a great job performing. If I have the chance, I want to go to one and see it live. The ones that we viewed in class we really good and made me want to create a poem just as good as theirs.

Overall this has been a great class and I can't believe that it is really that time already.
It is time to move onto the next english class. I really don't want to go and I have to say
that this is the best english class that I have taken at SEM. I hope that there will be a
Poetry II but I will never forget everything that i was taught in this class.
Mrs. Lewis, thanks for such a great english term and I will continue to write poetry,
because it is something that one can express themselves through after a rough day.

No comments:

Post a Comment